Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oh Canada, my Canada!



Oh Canada, my Canada!

And also, as Sybil notes,
“O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux”
since Canada is an official bi-lingual country.
It was multi-lingual at Niagara Falls yesterday. Oh yes, this is the place to live. Every language imaginable seemed to be in attendance as we all vied (peacefully I might add) for a spot from which to shoot the Falls.
Okay, that’s an overwrought sentence, but the people scene was as exciting as the natural wonders. And most of the visitors live in Ontario (a guess).
Since I probably will not be moving to Canada, can we at least share your health plan?
Your use of guns to hunt animals rather than people?
Aside: It was, on the other hand, cool to stay in Glen Arbor where the deer roam free,safe from guns on their national lakeshore turf. You couldn’t walk to town without deer crossing your path.
There’s a sense of déjà vu looking at the Falls, what I experienced going to the Grand Canyon and also seeing the Mona Lisa. (Though the M. Lisa is actually a surprise: so tiny)
On the other hand, Wow! This is astounding. Mist fell on us like rain and I took fewer pictures, worried about the water engulfing my already damaged lens. That big spot on photos means someone needs to open the camera and clean it. It shows up well in misty wall-of-water pictures.
Travel tip: Skip says the viewing is much better on the Canadian side. From the US, you miss part of the American Falls.
I had no interest in riding the Maid of the Mist and he’d already done it.
We repaired to the Buffet for my favorite activity of the day, all you can eat
for only $15.95, and found a table overlooking the scene. A mean man made us move. They were expecting tour groups and the best seats were reserved for big business.
Aside: Robin and friends once followed a hot tip and arrived at the Sistine Chapel at 6am, in order to be first in line at 8am opening and intending to lie on the floor to view the ceiling. At 7:59, tour buses pulled up and were ushered in first.
I practiced my really really bad French when a French-speaking man asked me to save their table and protect his backpack.
Life goal: I WILL learn to speak basic French!



No comments:

Post a Comment