Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The rains come


The rains come and exhaustion sets in

Skip thought Toronto’s Chinatown would be a good place for dinner and I agreed.
Chinese buns are listed in our Toronto’s Top Ten book as the first of top 10 snacks.
Before dinner, I took advantage of the hotel’s pristine pool and swam vigorously for just 15 minutes.
It seemed to be too much after our trip to Niagara, though we planned to try out the
excellent public transportation. One foot out of the hotel into the brand new rain
gave me pause. What is this? I remember it Labor Day weekend, but that was the only
time I’ve seen serious water from above since May.
Soon we were in a taxi headed for the heart of Chinatown.
It lookws bedraggled and depressing in the dark rain. A huge police presence on a
Monday night made me more rather than less anxious. My shoes slipped on the pavement.
I felt as decrepit as the surroundings appeared. We picked a place doing lots of business, mostly in takeout barbecue chicken, and settled for standard Cantonese fare:
Shrimp with noodles and lemon, very lemony, chicken.
No buns! I crept into a bakery for my favorite egg tarts. We rolled into bed early.

3 comments:

  1. sounds exhausting. sometimes i think that trips are for regrets. I missed going to Pompei because I was hot and tired. well, probably not in this life...but would I have enjoyed it if I was hot and tired?

    And east rain is a different kind of rain than on the west coast. serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, i meant to ask...when you were at the Niagara Falls, did you think of the movie with marilyn monroe and joseph cotton? :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember it, the film, only vaguely. Must rent once home.
    Revived now we are on the last leg of the trip. There is always a point of exhaustion and weather makes it more so. will try and post Friday.

    ReplyDelete