Monday, September 14, 2009



Living in Heaven with the Landlady from Hell

Here we are in paradise, with a small balcony overlooking Lake Michigan. Ah, sunset (see photo).
Glen Arbor, between Glen Lake (once named as one of the world’s most beautiful lakes) and Lake Michigan, sits alongside the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore. And it’s a pretty little town
with an IGA charging Whole Foods prices.
Well, almost paradise for me, were it not for Sunday Night Football and 2 out of 3 of us mesmerized
by the game. Tomorrow will be Monday Night Football. Hellllpppp! Then there’s the landlady.
First off, she told me I owe her half the rent, admitting she’d not cashed a second check. I told her she can see onlinethat someone cashed the first , if only the “wi-fi available” did not mean a coffee shop in town 2 miles away. Eventually, she said she would take me at my word.
Our condo has a few quirks because it has not been updated since the 70s. Ice doesn’t freeze. Skip
got a shock trying to plug in a lamp. Those funky sectional blinds come off as you exit the terrace.
The beds are hammocks. The owner had promised to buy a small DVD player, but did not. She came
upstairs to bring a key, while her weiner dogs made merry in the bedroom. I asked about the fridge,
but she professed ignorance since she never enters the place. Danny told her not to bother with a
DVD player, since the TV is too old to support the technology.
All well until the phone rang. It’s pretty hot and humid here and I’d turned on the a/c, advertised
on the VRBO site. Insisting it is not humid, landlady told me I have to turn it off or it could break and
I’d ruin her $1,500 investment. Prices were high 40 years ago. I have turned it off though we are sweating and I feel warlike. Skip volunteers to play the heavy should it become necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Some people should never become landlords.

    sounds grim for you guys. About the wifi...can you Bluetooth?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete